  From: Jen Gayman
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 12:21 PM
  Subject: Skipping History

  I have a question to ask of the group - I'm interested to hear what others think.  I had a teacher come in and inquire about tours of our exhibit for her second graders at a Christian school.  Our exhibit examines man's relationship with the Chesapeake Bay over time and how that relationship as impacted on the cultural and environmental heritage of the Bay.  As I showed the teacher through the exhibit, we came to our section on the tobacco economy, which of course had a huge impact on life on the Eastern Shore.  The teacher indicated that she would prefer to not have that section be part of the tour, because they are a Christian school.  I'm just interested to know if others have ever faced this type of request, and what their thoughts are on the notion of skipping over parts of history to suit the visitor, specifically in a docent-lend tour situation.

  Jennifer Gayman
  Heritage Coordinator
  Queen Anne's County, Maryland
  www.historicqac.org