How ironic, Valerie!

I am also an occupational therapist (and certified orthotist, who makes
splints and braces for people with disabilities).  I have worked not only in
museums, but in higher education and the corporate world as well, so do
strategic planning and change management as well.

Now that I am consulting, I work with quite a few museums to make the
physical facility more accessible (by developing something called a
Transition Plan, which identifies what is not accessible, how to correct it
and make it more accessible along with an estimated cost).  I also conduct
disability awareness training for museum staff and volunteers so they are
less hesitant about approaching or talking with people who have disabilities
in a museum.  I have found that staff and volunteers especially in the areas
of education and guest services benefit from this type of training.

Museums would serve themselves and their visitors by thinking about
accessibility issues while planning new exhibits and rennotaving existing
ones.  This includes thinking about the type of font used in graphic
interpretives, font size and amount of print on the sign.  High contrast in
colors is also a good idea -- with dark lettering on a lighter background
usually easier on the eyes.  In thinking about older guests, it is important
to think about larger print items -- for maps, guidebooks and interpretives.
And for our guests who are hard of hearing or who are deaf, it is important
to have print versions of any audio tour that is given.  It is also
important to have occasional seating throughout the museum, for elderly
people, younger people on crutches after foot surgery or someone with AIDS
who tires easily can sit and rest before continuing on their visit.  Simply
by offering this type of seating, museums lengthen someone's visit.  If
there is no place to sit down, visitors in need simply say "I'm tired, let's
go home."

That is just for starters, of course.  The most important thing to remember
is that any changes for people with disabilities benefit ALL visitors.  So
changes are not being made "just in case someone rolls in with a wheelchair"
or "in case someone who is blind" happens by.

Kind regards,
Terrie
Terrie Nolinske, Ph.D.
www.tniconsultants.com

TNI Consultants in Professional Development
930 North Boulevard
Oak Park, Illinois 60301
708. 386. 1331