Another thought (or two) on the photographic fee schedules...

One thing that has not been mentioned on image-use fees is whether the use
is for profit or not. That is a seemingly critical distinction. If  the
image's use is to be strictly for educational purposes and the product is
not to be sold for a profit, it would seem to warrant a different (and
lower) fee schedule than a for-profit publication. A number of museums do
make that distinction. As simple an issue as it may seem, there is often
significant time and effort, not to mention some material expense, that go
into supplying images: sometimes multiple correspondences, recordkeeping,
reproduction processing, mailing--and, quite often, unrealistic deadlines
on the receiving end.

At 02:23 PM 9/21/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>For those of you reviewing the fees that your library or institution
>charges for photos and other materials, please consider the following:
>
>Libraries that impose high fees for the materials in their collections
>discourage people from using those materials in publications.  This can
>affect promotion of local cultural sites, even those that are prominent
>nationally.  I have seen the following happen many times with cultural
>sites: people representing magazines and books decided NOT to use a photo
>of a historic site because photo fees were too expensive; as a result,
>they used a photo of another site because the fee was cheaper.  So, one
>historic site received a promotional plug while another missed out.
>
>In your zeal to "cover costs," consider the lost promotional opportunities
>you may be creating for your community's cultural sites if your fees are
>high.  Keep your fees at a reasonable level.
>
>Monta Lee Dakin =========================================================
>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
>read "help" (without the quotes).

>[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read
>"Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Faye Andrashko, Assistant Editor
Illinois State Museum
502 South Spring Street
Springfield, IL  67206-5000