Art does not have to be "tasteful" to be good art.  If I remember correctly most strong pieces publicly displayed have met with varying degrees of outcry.  People object to non-objective pieces, abstract pieces and realism. If we want public art short of memorial sculpture, we need to expect outcry.  I cannot see the point in funding "safe" pieces.

Didn't we have an earlier discussion about memorials? My feelings then were that we were rushing into memorializing an event before there was time to come to terms with it emotionally. They are the same now.