Do any of our listers use this online donation website for their
institutions? Have you received a reasonable response? Does the response
justify whatever time/effort you used to list yourselves? Is this something
you recommend to others?

I am particularly troubled by the disclaimer on one of their splash screens:
  If you link your organization's Web site directly to the Network for Good
Giving System as described below, you should be aware that doing so may be
considered a solicitation of charitable contributions subject to
registration and regulation by statute in approximately 38 states. Several
of these state statutes consider the solicitation to be made where the donor
resides, and to have occurred whether or not a contribution is made. Since
the Network for Good Giving System is not limited to a single state or
states, linking your site to the Network for Good Giving System could
require your organization to register in multiple states. You should consult
with your own legal advisor as to the necessity and method of registering in
your particular situation. Neither Network for Good, the Network for Good
Giving System, nor its partners are responsible for assisting your
organization in such registration process or for any liability for failure
to do so properly. [Visit
http://www.networkforgood.org/npo/fundraising/donations/index.html and
scroll to the bottom of the screen for the original text]
Has your organization experienced trouble with this disclaimer? Should I
expect a bunch of legal loopholes or should I not worry about it?

As a young, upstart institution, I'm afraid to commit the scarce legal
resources we have (i.e. one volunteer) if A) there will be a number of legal
loopholes and B) we won't get enough return on our investment.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences with this organization and
your advice about them.

George Garner

[P.S.] For those who do not know, NetworkForGood.org
(www.networkforgood.org) is a venture of AOL/Time Warner designed to provide
a single location where non-profits and individuals wishing to support
non-profits can find each other. Institutions that register (for free and
without any unsolicited email) may provide volunteer opportunities and
donation requests. Individuals can either visit your website and follow a
link to NetworkForGood  or hit NetworkForGood directly and search. Their
donation section is particularly useful to museums who do not have or cannot
create secure websites for transferring credit card information providing
donors the safety they deserve. I have already used the Volunteer portion
and although I have not received any takers yet, it was easy to set up.

National Speedskating Museum and Hall of Fame

George Garner, Director and Curator
P.O. Box 3120, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
(518) 587-2609