From: Alexandra Carrera [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 2:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 9/11 Censorship? Statue of falling woman censored

I don't think the argument is about "good" art or even censorship. I've heard repeatedly this was a private commission, put in a public space that the general public requested be removed. We have eyesore laws, it's perfectly reasonable and legal for people to not be forced to looking at things that are harmful and if you don't believe looking at disturbing images is harmful, then look at studies done about violence depicted on tv (and yes, the news) including cartoons. I think we who do not live in NYC cannot begin to imagine the impact this statue has on those who do. And mental health workers will agree our goal is to move past the pain, not set up camp there. Does anyone honestly believe we won't forget what happened? I was impressed by the power of the statue from the pictures of it and would actually like to see it. But I'm happier seeing it in a museum where it's my CHOICE, where I can be mentally prepared for what I'm about to see. Imagine how awful it would be to walk by that work everyday, knowing it disturbs you, knowing it's about to come into view, knowing you'll want to avert your eyes -- the stress that would cause in someone passing by it everyday. I think the public has every right to request its removal and the artist has every right to display it where viewers will want to see it. Alexandra Carrera Corita Art Center