Beth

Yes we are and that's what professionals do - whatever it takes to get the job done. Doctors and lawyers are much more regulated professionals that museum staff.  They have organizations that enforce professional standards.  Few of them work a tidy 40 hours a week between 8 and 5.  Many people in private industry work in excess of 40 hours a week on a regular basis to get the job done.  Most people in museums with management duties are exempt employees - all the way from director to registrar. Exempt employees do not get overtime pay. The compensation they get for extra time varies from organization to organization.

The threads that lead to the points that alarm you were from job seekers (volunteer or paid). To me it does not follow that with tight budgets and many job seekers we should start agitating for better hours for exempt employees.  Those of us that put in the hours did it to get where we are.

My inclination toward organizing would be to impose standards in the field as to what constitutes a "professional" so far as museum work goes - to establish minimum standards regarding knowledge and practice.