I would like to add my 25 cents please.

I admire the museum professional hopefuls who put in so much time and effort
into finding a job. I do feel very passionately about doing your best to
treat these potential workers and workers in other fields the best way you
can. Word of mouth is damaging. I saw first hand in a local election in my
county how bad word of mouth can damage chances of success. A lady who was
running for  local office has a reputation of being very rude and
disrespectful to her workers. She lost the election by a large margin; this
loss is well known in our county because of her attitude to others.

Some of you have heard this story before:

When I interviewed at the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts, Old
Salem, Winston Salem, NC. The receptionist showed a very rude and cold
attitude towards me. When my mother and aunt came in after I was taken to the
interviewer's office, the receptionist behaved the same way to them. I had
the feeling that I wasn't going to get the job anyway. Usually I have a lot
of hope regardless, but this time I just knew that this wasn't it. That was
the first time that I really felt unwelcomed in a place where I interviewed.
This strong discomfort lasted for the whole time that I was there, it didn't
just start and end with the front desk receptionist.

I am the sort of person who is very loyal to products, companies, and
services that treat me well. For instance, I always go the same grocery store
(s) every week because of their great customer service, fresh produce and
clean store. I always buy the same juice (OceanSpray Cranberry Juice) from
the same store every week. When I tell people about where I go to buy
groceries, I really lay it down thick of how wonderful the store is and how
wonderful the produce and meats look.

I can be an asset to any business, even when I don't have much money because
the money that I do have and the favorable word of mouth will definately go
to that business that treats the customers well. I tell everyone where they
should go to get the best services and products...that includes museums.

When I say to a museum hopeful, " that is a great museum to try for a job!" I
mean it. I love to talk about places that are good to me. I love to point out
museums that really shows respect for my efforts. I probably have been there
as a visitor or interviewee and was treated in a decent fashion. When I go
through a bad experience with that potential employer, I tell that to
everyone also. Everyone makes their own decisions, but I don't want to see
others wasting their time without knowing that they may have more of that
chance of wasting time with certain employers. I also don't want to see
others spending their money on certain businesses that don't respect their
clients.

I guess one could say that the way that I act resembles that of a news
broadcast reporter and a cheerleader, literally.

If you treat your customers/visitors/interviewers well, you may have loyal PR
people and financial donators for a very long time.

Sincerely,

Merri

n a message dated 9//202 12:52:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,