Ms. DeAngelis:

I have contacted the program's director Ildiko DeAngelis, talked to the coordinator of the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate Studies Office, investigated the web site, talked to some of the lead staff members of the National Gallery of Art, GW alumni, and the Director of the Visitor's Programs of the National Cathedral. All have wonderful things to say about the program's intensity and its reputation. I also have found the that the school is tremendously competitive,  those graduates are very well trained and have a great chance of finding jobs in that field.  The faculty are also pretty well connected.

Looking at the geographical area (NW Washington D.C.), the well known cultural institutions in D.C., D.C being a world capital, the internships that the university gives inside the D.C. area (NGA, Smithsonian Museums), the reputation of having an excellent museum studies program,and everything else that I have mentioned in the previous paragraph; I would say that this program is really really good and have specific special benefits.

Like I have said, if I am to spend my money and time getting a MA in a field that I know is very difficult to break into, I want to spend it at a university with a great reputation of academic excellence in that field, one that has a staff with very good connections, and the location doesn't hurt either. GW is always popping up on so many people's lips as being such a university. The best advertisement has always been word of mouth.

There are other universities that I am looking at, such as the University of VA. I have also heard good things about this one. I like their curriculum very much. The education and student participation programs that the Bayly Museum have are, in my opinion, wonderful. The university is located in the same city as Monticello. They have a great reputation too. I was told that Charlottesville's relationship with the University of VA  is similar to Chapel Hill's relationship to UNC-Chapel Hill. I love the fact that the city is a little quieter, smaller, but still have a very well known historical residence and UVA.

I will look on the web site that you have given.

I do my research, make no mistake about that.  I have said before, that part of my research involves talking to people with real experience. Placing questions on this listserv is what we are supposed to do to find out what we can about things relating to the museum, even the education process. My questions may be general,  it may not suit you or some others, but you don't have to answer them. My question allows for a broad range of opinion and experience, that is why it is so loose.

Merri C.Pemberton
M erri C .Pemberton ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: