Dear Adrienne:

I felt that the question was the right one to ask, since I am looking at possible graduate programs in Art History and Museum Studies. I want to work and get my MA in D.C. or N. Virginia. I have been told that George Washington Univ. has an excellent reputation in museum studies by many people on this list, so I decided to inquire about American University since it is in the D.C. area also.

I don't know about anyone else, but a university with a strong reputation of excellence in a particular academic area is extremely helpful in starting or boosting one's career, if that career is in that area. That is just the way that it is. It isn't the only thing, but it is strong component. Reality is reality.

A student who does well at Duke University will have more employer interest on his/her side, than if he had done well academically at UNCG ( my old alma mater). No offense to UNCG, but it is the truth. Duke just has a very strong and well-known academic reputation...along with sports too.

So finding out the academic reputation is not only useful, but it is just common sense. If I plan to spend my hard earned money at a university...I want to know about its reputation in academic excellence, which is met by the school itself, the faculty,and the students.  I am not ashamed to hide that desire.

Sincerely,

Merri C. Pemberton

M erri C .Pemberton ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: