My feeling is that if you have been out of college for a while, and you are not going into something really academic (history, as opposed to museum studies, for example) then you don't need to worry too much about GREs.

You have to take them to get in, of course, but your program is going to be looking at you, your accomplishments, and your interests a whole lot more than your performance on a high-stakes 3 hour test.

I took mine whilst still half asleep, without benefit of food or coffee, and totally stressed out after having overslept and almost missed my bus to the testing site.  Did as well on them as I did on my SATs, for which I was a whole lot more prepared.

Got into graduate school.

Good luck!

Claudia Nicholson