Siobhan,

This is a great question, and I would love to hear the results of your
research. Members of our society are split on this. I think that
digitization serves a useful purpose because it reduces the need to look at
the actual photo, handle it, etc. We also use scans often in our exhibits,
rather than the real thing. But I don't think that digital images will ever
be the same as the real thing. Given a choice between a negative of the
photo or a scan of the photo, for back-up purposes, I would rather have the
neg. Technology changes quickly, and we are a small organization that may
not be able to afford upgrades or new equipment in order to keep up - so I
guess I'd say that I'm very concerned about obsolescence.

As far as accepting digital images into the collection, it looks like we
will probably accept digital images from digital cameras at some point, and
also high resolution digital images when there is no other way to get them
(ie. the donor refuses to part with them for longer than it takes to scan).
I'd prefer to accession scanned images done by a scanning tech, rather than
by my assistant or myself. I definitely feel uneasy about accepting scanned
images, but I feel some pressure from board members who are in love with the
digital medium.

Hope this helps.
Erica

Erica S. Maniez
Museum Director, Issaquah Historical Society
425/392-3500
www.issaquahhistory.org