Briefly, my experience:

I am Italian and I have been working at the Saint Louis Art Museum since
November 2001. I am on a J-1 Visa, intended for young
professional/trainee and student.
I have a 18 months visa and I have been lucky and persevering in trying
to find a job in the United States right after my graduation at the
University of Turin (I graduated in June 2001 in History of Art
Criticism). Before graduating I had been looking and applying for
different positions (Aviso is where I eventually found this wonderful
opportunity, right after my graduation). Many times the Museums, as
public Institutions, cannot pay for your hiring process, so I paid for
my visa and the Museum did not have to hire any lawyer (this would be
necessary if I asked for a working visa, very expensive for the
employer).
Three years ago I was an intern at the NASM and NMAA in Washington DC.

Being foreigner should not be a problem if you are the right person
(certainly if an American citizen is an even competitor, he should get
the job, but this is also fair .), but if you are "the right person at
the right moment" your being a foreigner should not be a problem.

You have to be ready, though, to fill out many forms .I can say it is
absolutely worthwhile and I thank Institutions like the Saint Louis Art
Museum and, yes, the USA Government for giving me this wonderful
opportunity.

My best wishes.

Angelica