To whom it may concern:

This subject sure is raising some eyebrows and blood pressures, but I believe that there was a comment made about how the argument "There are more important things to argue about" is silly and petty. If I heard this right, then here is my response:

Well, there are more important things to argue about than someone's public
announcement for needing a job, that is just the truth. Neither is it petty
or silly. It is rough in this economy right now...people have to pay the
bills, support and protect their families (abducted children), and some of us are wondering when the next wave of layoffs will begin among other things. In my short 25 years, I came to realize that this present argument about "Needing  a Job" is a picnic compared to other things I had to and will face and fight for. Well, enough of that.

For anyone who is job searching. You may already know some of these
suggestions, but please read anyway.

To the person who is looking for a job. I know where you are coming from; I
don't have a job in the museum field either. I am very passionate about art
history and will keep looking for an opportunity in that field until I find one.
I have been told by various museum professionals who interviewed me that I
have excellent skills, resume, enthusiasm, etc.... and would go far in this
field, but I still don't have a job though. This field is very cutthroat, I had to get a little
more creative and less discouraged.

I basically have taken jobs in financial services, teaching public school and
art/art history classes, library, along with jobs within the museum. I always
find a way to contribute the skills that I have learned from those jobs to
market myself well to the museums. The important thing is, if there are
opportunities, to try and take as much leadership roles as you can in your
present job or volunteer assignments. Volunteer for extra duties within the workplace
our outside which will really showcase your talents. My initiative to take
these roles and
successfully completing them helped me to gain interviews with well known
museums and other institutions.

With whatever job that you want, the best attitude to have is " This is what I
can do for you" and back it up with proof, e.g. favorable letter written by a
curator or other museum professional recognizing your achievments.  This could
be in your portfolio, but don't push the portfolio in your prospective
employer's face....be subtle.

I am familiar with the University of Virginia...isn't that in
Charlottesville? If this is the same school, then this school does have some
good credit behind the name. It is certainly more recognizable then my school,
University of NC at Greensboro. Your school can raise an eyebrow of interest,
but what you can offer, and what makes you different goes a long way, along
with knowing the right people.

At this moment I am working with a job placement service called OfficeTeam.
They are very good and work with Fortune 500 companies. I am looking to gain
more experience in database managment, which is useful just about anywhere.
On the side, I will look for opportunities to do some freelance writing for
museum, art, and cultural publications. I was interviewed at the National
Gallery of Art a few weeks ago, and the two ladies who interviewed me
suggested that I start writing. Since one of them is the Associate Dean and
the other is the Center Administrator for the Center for the Advanced Study
in the Visual Arts, I knew that what I was getting was some grade A advice.
Plus, this would be a good way to take more of my future in the museum field
into my own hands, instead of waiting for another rejection letter.

Just keep your head held up high and be innovative. Take a job not related to
your field for now, but keep sharpening your museum experience by doing some
volunteer, part time, or freelance writing for museum publications. Make
yourself known to as many people as possible. Remember, we are competing with
folks with gobs of experience and Ph.D's. Let it be known to your interviewer
that when he/she talks about hiring you, they are talking about hiring a
powerhouse solution to their problems and desires, but back it up with proof.
Well, that is my speech for the day.

Sincerely,

Merri

M erri C .Pemberton ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: