Though I by no means intend to fan the current fire on
this debate, I find myself in a similar predicament; I
have an part-time internship beginning in Washington
D.C. in September, and plan on getting an additional
part-time job while there to help cover expenses.  I
was wondering whether anyone would have suggestions on
where to apply to get a part time job in an
arts/cultural related organization?  Most of these
sorts of positions in my area seem to staffed by
volunteers.  Thanks so much,

Jen

--- Lara Taylor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Ross and Indigo, I wholeheartedly disagree.  I
don't
> think there was any
> sort of tone in the original post that sounded
like
> he believed that his
> U.Va degree would "trigger the entire museum
world
.
> ."  That seems
> incredibly harsh.  Indigo, I also felt that to
say
> that it read as a
> singles ad was very patronizing.  What purpose do
> either of those comments
> serve?
>
> There is a really cynical contingent of this
> list-serv that constantly
> berates job-seekers.  Messages that talk about
"I
> need a job" posts clog up
> the list-serv much more than the original emails.

> The purpose of this
> list-serv is to offer a place where museum
> professionals (and others) can
> ask questions, offer suggestions, etc.  One of
the
> purposes of this
> list-serv is to inquire about jobs, talk about
> salaries, ask about
> internships, etc.  There are many other web
> resources, as Indigo points
> out, but this list-serv is certainly one of those
> resources.
>
> I've been on this list-serv for several years
now,
> and I normally find the
> information and comments from Ross and Indigo
both
> friendly and helpful.
> These comments seemed very out of character.
Ross,
> your question: "Does
> anyone in higher education still teach folks how
> present themselves in
> the job market?"  was not constructive on any
level,
> and, with that
> question, I felt that you presented yourself in a
> way that contradicts your
> past contributions to this list.
>

>                       Ross Weeks
> I found the original posting a bit naive.  Indigo
> was right on target.
>
> The job-seeker seemed to feel his U.Va.
credential
> would trigger the entire
> museum world into action, openings would be
dropped
> at his feet as if they
> were roses, and he'd get snapped up quickly.
>
> Does anyone in higher education still teach folks
> how to present themselves
> in the job market?
>
> Ross Weeks Jr.
> Historic Crab Orchard Museum & Pioneer Park
> Tazewell, Va.
> http://histcrab.netscope.net

Employement
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> [...]
University of
> Virginia's
extensive
> museum
metropolitan museums
> > > curatorial
please email me,

Links?, Your

http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414

Jobs

at

http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You
> may
> > > obtain detailed
> > > information about the listserv commands
by
> sending a
> > > one line e-mail message
> > > to [log in to unmask] . The
body of
> the
> > > message should read "help"
> > > (without the quotes).

please send a
> one
> > > line e-mail message to
> > > [log in to unmask] . The body
of the
> > > message should read "Signoff
> > > Museum-L" (without the quotes).

> > > Important Subscriber Information:
> > >
> > > The Museum-L FAQ file is located at

http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You
> may
> > > obtain detailed information about the
listserv
> > > commands by sending a one line e-mail
message to
> > > [log in to unmask] . The body
of the
> > > message should read "help"
(without the quotes).

> > > If you decide to leave Museum-L, please
send a
> one
> > > line e-mail message to
> > > . The body of the message should read
"Signoff
> > > Museum-L" (without the quotes).
> >

> > =====
> > Indigo Nights
> >
> > Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your
One-Stop
> Portal
> > http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414

> > HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
> > http://www.hotjobs.com

> > Important Subscriber Information:
> >
> > The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You
may
> obtain detailed
> information about the listserv commands by
sending a
> one line e-mail
> message
> to [log in to unmask] . The body of the
> message should read
> "help"
> (without the quotes).
> >
> > If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send
a one
> line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
> message should read "Signoff