A query from Australia.
Several years ago we made a trip to the USA with the major intention of visiting Washington and finally seeing the Smithsonian campuses and the Holocaust Museum.
At that time there was a budget or congessional funding crisis and, although American friends assured us it would never be a problem, when we arrived everything was closed (and stayed that way for the 5-6 days of our visit).
We're giving it another go in October.  We have six days (Monday through Saturday) and want to spend the whole time seeing museums, galleries, and the zoo.  If I could impose on list members with local knowledge...
(1) It's probably not enough time, but how much time should we allow at: zoo, Air and Space museum, American History Museum, National Gallery of Art, Natural History Museum, the Holocaust Museum
(2) We have been Smithsonian members for many years and know that membership includes a "tour" of the Castle...should we book that and do it?
(3) When we were last there we did get to the Viet Nam Memorial, and the major monuments (fortunately not closed!!).  What are "must see" items should be on our list?
(4) Given the Australian dollar is worth 50cents US, can anyone recommend convenient but reasonable (no, read cheap!) accommodation?  We hear some areas are a bit unsafe.
My sincere thanks for advice.  It's a long way to traveland this time we are really hoping to make the most of it!  Please reply off-line if you prefer so it doesn't inconvenience or annoy other list members.

Sharron Dickman