Everyone has given you great suggestions, and as a resident of the area, let
me offer a couple more suggestions:

*       Although the National Portrait Gallery is closed, it recently opened
a wonderful exhibit on American women drawn from their collections.  It is
on exhibit in the Ripley Center, near the Smithsonian Castle.

*       The International Spy Museum just opened across from the closed
National Portrait Gallery.  It is being operated as a private, for-profit
business and is receiving lots of attention in the press as an attraction
for the family.  Haven't seen it myself to offer an opinion.

*       Also closed:  National Archives exhibits and Ford Theater are closed
for renovation; White House and FBI closed for security reasons.

*       On Capitol Hill, you may also enjoy the Library of Congress
(wonderful building, good exhibits on books, reading, and major collections)
and the Folger Library (exhibits on Shakespeare, Elizabethan life).

*       And of course, I must include our two historic sites:  Decatur House
(near the White House) and Woodrow Wilson House (the only presidential home,
located in Kalorama/Embassy Row).

Washington doesn't seem as crowded as usual, but I'd still take the Metro,
use the Tourmobile, and avoid the Mall-side entrances to the Smithsonian
museums.  Weather is changing continually, so wear shorts for the heat and
bring umbrellas for the thunderstorms.

Enjoy your travels!

Max A. van Balgooy

Director of Interpretation and Education

Stewardship of Historic Sites

National Trust for Historic Preservation

1785 Massachusetts Avenue, NW

Washington, DC  20036

(202) 588-6242

Fax (202) 588-6232