Hi Christine!

Christine Dwyer wrote:
> What ratio do you use for groups -- 1:5, 1:10, 1:x?
> How strictly do you enforce your policy? Have you
> refused a group for insufficient supervision?

Joslyn Art Museum has a "School Tours" web page (accessible from our "Educator Resources + Outreach").  It reads, in part:

        In order to maintain a suitable teaching environment,
        large groups are divided into smaller groups of
        10-15 students, depending on gallery space.
        [Docent-led] School groups must be accompanied
        at all times by a teacher or adult for every 10
        students. Self-guided groups must provide one
        adult chaperone per seven students.  These
        chaperones assist with supervision of groups
        throughout their museum visit and are admitted
        free of charge. Additional adults may accompany
        the tour at the adult group rate.
        [See: http://www.joslyn.org/teach/schooltours.html]

Have we refused anyone?  Not since I've been at Joslyn; however we say, in a cheery tone, "But next time we hope you will!"

It is rare for a school to be unable to entice enough chaperones (whether teachers or parents).  I observe that, in our few cases, the schools are located in economically downtrodden areas of the city.  We understand that parents cannot always sacrifice a day's wage just to accompany their child's school trip to a museum.  The need for decorum and safety should, in my view, be measured against common sense and compassion.

Feel free to contact me directly with further questions.

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman
Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum
2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)   342-2376 (fax)   www.joslyn.org

"You can't lock up art in a vault and keep it frozen for posterity. Then the artist is betrayed, history is betrayed."
(Walter Persegati)