Christine,
We have had a lot of issues with inadequate supervision of school groups, mainly because of the size of the groups.  We are a new facility and are still quite popular.  From the beginning, we have had a 1 chaperone to 10 student ratio.  Most of the time, we have more than enough parents who come with the students in order to fulfill that requirement.   I've attached a copy of our web page which has a lot of info. on school tours, chaperones, etc.  I hope this helps.
http://www.tspb.state.tx.us/tspb/TSHM/Plan/SchGrp/SchoolGroup.htm

Shoshanna R. Lansberg
Public Programs Assistant
Texas State History Museum
(512) 936-2309 ph.
(512) 936-4699 fax

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/28/02 03:48PM >>>
Hello,

We are considering adopting a policy that specifies how many adult
chaperones must accompany a visiting school group, i.e., one adult per x
students.  This is important for numerous reasons, one being that groups
must cross a busy intersection to visit one stop on the tour, another being
that museum staff (paid or volunteer) should not be alone with a student(s).

I'd be especially interested in hearing from those who have tours with
multiple buildings involved --

What ratio do you use for groups -- 1:5, 1:10, 1:x?
How strictly do you enforce your policy? Have you refused a group for
insufficient supervision?

Obviously, this policy would be aimed primarily at elementary school groups,
summer camps, or similar.

Thank you,
Christine Dwyer
Stanly County Museum