Dear List Members,

My colleague Leslie Freund sent me the following information related

to this question.  I hope that it is useful.

[The Hearst Museum] actually picked through the actual costs for the

museum and the university in general to house collections and came

up with the figure that we are using.  Terry Child's of the NPS has done

a lot of really good research on this. A while ago she did a survey on

curation fees which is published on the web at

http://www.cr.nps.gov/aad/feesstud.htm

She also wrote up an on-line handbook on basically dealing with 36CFR Part

79 which is available at

http://www.cr.nps.gov/aad/collections/intro_course01.htm Of particular

interest might be the links section within the chapter on

repositories. The guidelines and fees for a number of museums are up

there http://www.cr.nps.gov/aad/collections/repos_07.htm

Kendra Dillard

Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology

University of California, Berkeley