Brian Bray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
My thinking is along the same track as Cecelia's. I have developed programs
that are not tied directly to our museums simply because there was a need.
Yes, educators need to have programs that cover the policies, but in my
opinion museum educators need to be more of a resource for teachers and the
general public. Our job is to educate the pubic! That might mean talking
about the perm. exhibits in the museum or developing "traveling trunks" on
topics that teachers have always wanted to know more about, but did not have
the time/resources to do so.

Brian W. Bray
Director of Education
Texarkana Museums System
903-793-4831 (w)
903-793-7108 (fax)

....."Our job is to educate the pubic! "
No, no, we don't "educate the pubic."  You guys are getting too racy for me.  I love the discussion though, and the off-the-cuff remarks have been fair, but if you are really interested in Museum Education, go talk to museum educators, pick up the phone and see what's in their brain about what they do.  At the same time, pull out the "AAM Bookstore Catalogue" or check the website catalog www.aam-us.org  and see the titles offered re. Museum Education or just plain Education.  There is an "educating function" in the way that curators write labels to explain to the audience what they are seeing - the museum educator goes a bit further in the interpretation and makes the object that is singled out more immediate - it becomes more comprehensible to the audience.  If we want to do a good job of explaining to people what our museum does, it has to be a concerted effort between the many "public" faces of the museum (marketing, curatorial, docents, front line people in gift shop, etc.), but the museum educator can go a bit further in explaining the themes of our displays, and to help the audience find those parallels in their everyday lives.

Olivia S. Anastasiadis, CuratorRichard Nixon Library & Birthplace18001 Yorba Linda Blvd.Yorba Linda, CA  92886(714) 993-5075, ext. 224; fax (714) 528-0544www.nixonlibrary.org