Patricia,

A lot depends on your equipment, what you intend to use the scans for, and how much storage space you have available. Glass plate negatives can generally be scanned on a flat bed with a transparency adaptor (the light comes from the scanning lid rather than from the base). Glass plates can benefit from being scanned at very high resolution (2000 DPI+ depending on your scanning capabilities), but this also means huge file sizes. For some great examples of scanned glass plates check out the Nebraska State Historical Society's site at
http://www.nebraskahistory.org/lib-arch/research/photos/digital/index.htm -- Jill Marie Koelling there has done some great work. You can also send me an email or give me a call off-list and I can give you some more resources.

Hope this helps!

Trevor Jones
Project Coordinator
Illinois Digitization Institute