Finally a topic I can sink my teeth into...

The key to a successful, interactive Access database, as I believe was already pointed out, is planning ahead. Before the first piece of "live" data gets entered, the database should be tested within an inch of its life. It will, after all, be relied upon for many years to come. Access's specialty, related data tables, are a must in order to streamline the data entry process but to also keep data separate and available for recall.

The planning should cover more than just how the data will be stored and subsequently retrieved - but also how can it readily be shared with other software. Will you need to do some number-crunching in MS-Excel? Will you need to perform sophisticated mail merges for mailings and event invitations with MS-Word? Set up your database accordingly.

Access database designers have two general options - create a database with other technical users in mind, or create one for more basic users. The more basic version would make use of forms and "switchboards" to aid in navigation, while the more advanced would rely on the user's software knowledge to interpret structure and purpose.

The bottom line is that Access is more than capable enough to handle membership, mailing lists, even collections (I have my own 2,500+ item personal collection in a detailed, illustrated Access database) but pre-planning is absolutely essential. Take a course or two, buy a Que book, but seek to boost your skills since many will not find Access user friendly.

A thorough understanding of why data are stored in related tables and what data settings are appropriate for which kind of data is also very important. Software is just a tool - our relative success with it is ultimately dependent on our conceptual understanding of the larger process at hand.

Paul Barone
Technology Training Manager (on the clock)
Photographic Historian (off the clock)
University of California, Los Angeles