Hello all,

I'm new here and joined because I have a several career-oriented questions.  I hope that this is a place that I can ask them!  If not, please excuse this looong email.

I am a senior at Carroll College (Wisconsin) majoring in History, minoring in Liberal Arts English and Women's Studies.  I thought that upon graduation I wanted to pursue my Master's and PhD in US womens history at UW Madison, but have recently had second thoughts.  I know I want to get my Master's but now I am thinking instead of teaching I want to do something along the lines of archival work or preservation.  Basically I am looking for some practical, real-world advice!  How important is a PhD?  What are the job prospects of a teaching career as opposed to a public history career?  Do I get a master's in general history or public history (is one more desirable to an employer than another)?  How important is the school that I obtain my degrees from? Meaning, will UWMadison "look better" than say, UWMilwaukee despite what I get my master's in?

I apologize for so many questions (although there are more), but because I am a very ambitious, A-student, single mom with a mortgage, I am very concerned lately about job prospects in the history field (or lack thereof). :) I guess I just wish I could know what I could do now to better prepare for my career in the future.  Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice... it is *greatly* appreciated!

Karla

"Good luck, boy, take it easy, but take it."
               *~*Woody Guthrie*~*