It is interesting how this thread has gone from corsets, fashion and 19th century garb to the concept of foot binding.  From a researcher's point of view, both practices represent cultural aspects from a certain society; American/European - corsets, Chinese - footbinding, but I have to wonder how the idea of foot binding could be construed from corsets?  I remember reading about about foot binding, and how there were still women alive in China who underwent this practice, does anyone else know about this?  I agree with Jay Heuman that although foot binding may be 'inhumane' or 'bad' that it is hard to place our 'western' views on the practices of another culture.  But I think there are certain traditional practices that are alien concepts to western society: foot-binding, genital mutilation (central Africa), as well as others.  I'm trying to recall what exactly foot-binding was; weren't the feet bound at a young age (tying them into place and literally folding them in half), in an effort to make the foot look smaller?

Charles Wick
Indiana University

-----Original Message-----
From: Clarissa Fostel [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 12:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Foot binding (formerly "RE: corset misconceptions?")

In a message dated 5/16/2002 1:16:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

It is interesting that this thread has broadened into a
socio-political demonstration of the postcolonial theories
of Homi Bhabah and Edward Said.

I also find it interesting that everyone who has condemned
foot binding (Candace, Clarrisa, Deb, Nick, etc.) has done
so from the position of the here and now, and has made no
attempt to understand the role of foot binding within
context.  Imagine going into the past and preventing foot
binding from ever starting . . . how much different would
Chinese culture be today?

Hello Jay,

You are right; my interest was not "understand[ing] the role of foot binding within context."  My position is that there are certain rights and wrongs in the world which, IMO, exist *outside* of the boundaries of "context" and "culture."

As a woman born in 20th century in the Northeast, my familiarity with male, antebullum Southern culture is limited.  This does not stop me from categorically condemning the practice of slavery.  I do not think that a Chinese woman born in the 21st century would be out of line in likewise condemning this atrocity.  Would her criticism be "distasteful?"

> I think we can understand and appreciate norms, beliefs,
> and practices of the past and of "other" cultures without
> "condemning" them.  But I think it's going too far to
assert
> that criticizing such beliefs or practices from the
standpoint
> of contemporary Western values should be considered
> "distasteful."

Criticism of a culture from beyond that culture is
distasteful to me.  Yes, all Americans pride themselves in
freedom of speech.  And there may be value in that for
Americans.  But Chinese culture is not American culture.
Certainly, American culture - such as it existed during the
period of time during which the Chinese practiced foot
binding - was filled with all sorts of horrors.  Something
to consider?

I don't mean to be flip or rude, but your statement isn't some great revelation to me.  Do you imagine that there are many people on this list who are unfamiliar with the monstrous wrongs committed by this country (America), past and present?  And do you think I would bypass criticizing these wrongs, in favor of only condemning that which is non-Western?  I'm uncertain if that is what you are implying.

Clarissa