To AAM's defense -
I believe you have thrown the stone the wrong direction when I'm in the audience.  With AAM once you pay your dues you get your mailings. The committees seem to fluctuate greatly from year to year. Over the years I've belonged to three standing committees. What I got for those dues ranged from absolutely nothing, to one newsletter a year to another group that has recently fallen into limbo.  Not such a great track record.  I'd rather pay $75 for a reliable resource than $10 to $25 and get nothing.
AAM sponsors a conference that I thoroughly enjoyed the one year I got to go; sponsors with ALI-ABA the annual "Legal Issues in Museum Administration" which is the absolute best workshop I've been to.  They offer recognition to museums of all sizes in all areas, they sponsor "look to the future" initiatives.  The technical information service provides a great resource for museum professionals.
I used to think that AAM worked better for the bigger institutions. However over the past decade I've seen them really reach out to the smaller institutions.
If there is a particular gripe you have with the "mother ship" why not work to correct that?
So far as the Official Museum Directory goes, that publication has a limited audience although it is a very valuable tool for that audience. When most of that audience gets a hefty discount, it becomes very difficult for the publisher (not AAM) to make a profit. The internet for some of us has decreased the need for OMD reducing the audience further. I question your assertion that it is an overpriced item.  It is an expensive item to produce (kinda like museum exhibits in that regard) - we got it at a bargain price that AAM negotiated for us.

"William M. Greaves" wrote:

> I hate to admit it but this is one item that does not surprise me at
> all. The Official Museum Directory has raised its price for not only
> members but also to vendors to a point of being ridiculous.  They are no
> longer service oriented but 100% profit motivated.

You shouldn't get me (or others) started on this. But...
Now that the pricey AAM membership is not optional for membership in the NAME pag (National Association of Museum Exhibition) I'm having a hard time encouraging others to join NAME because of the cost - and as the state rep for NAME that's sad. NAME is an excellent organization and
provides many useful and beneficial services to not only its members, but also the museum profession in general. I can't truthfully say that about AAM. Sorry.
--
Dave Maschino, Exhibit Coordinator
The Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum