I'll go with the bad night air and sleeping sitting up with the big bolster
pillows  so you could breathe and not laying out for the shorter beds.

The "people must have been shorter" arguement - I did some research on the
owner of a house I worked at and he was in 1752 reported on the military
roster that he was 5'4. Others in his military unit ranged from 5' to 5'11.

A couple of years later during the Amer. Rev they were taller. Adams was a
little man, and then GW and Tom Jefferson were over 6'. Doesn't it have to
do with the diet and don't I remember that the Brits liked to get the
country boys as they were better fed and healthier and taller.

So if people were smaller and getting bigger, was Moses just a little over
12" tall or what?

From the Neanderthal website: .... The Neanderthal man's appearance looks
similar to the characteristics of both Home Erectus and ourselves.
Neanderthal man had thick eye brow ridges, was about 5-7 ft tall, and pretty
much looked like us today.  Some scientist's say that if ....

Let's go with man being 5'2 in the middle ages - remember the armor
collections you seen in Spain and Europe? - and then haveing them growing
with the improved nutrition and diet?

Bill Maurer
Gomez Mill House
www.gomez.org