Hello, List Members,

Please excuse double posting to RCAAM.

I have recently joined the Museum-L and skim through the messages with great interest and some amusement.  I realized that everyone is quick to come to the aid of any museum professional in need, and that the list is the best place to ask for advice for just about anything.

Therefore----can you help me put together a list of university museums that are not centrally located and have problems attracting visitors, especially students?  We are “benchmarking” here at Miami University (Oxford, Ohio not Florida!), as we are now under the auspices of the School of Fine Arts.  We are looking for museums with comparable conditions to start with, but even when the museum is centrally located (i.e. Princeton) I have learned that the situation is similar.

Miami has 15,000 undergraduates and 1,800 graduate students and is located in a nice little town with a base population of about 6,000 people.  The art museum is only about 2 blocks from the center of the campus, and parking is not a problem.  In fact, we find that people park here and then walk to their classes or jobs elsewhere (another problem we need to solve!).  But the location is just enough of a deterrent that students don’t come in unless they have a class assignment requiring them to.  Another factor is that there’s no FOOD here--our expansion plans include a small restaurant.

First and foremost, we need a list!  The solutions come later.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Laura Henderson

email:  [log in to unmask]

Laura B. Henderson
Museum Registrar