Although I did have US History in high school and I remember having a competent, challenging course, I find it a travesty that we don't have more World History courses at the high school level. I don't know of any school that did....but that doesn't mean they're not out there! I think my school did offer a college-level course in European History, to be fair, but personally I think the some sort of history that is not centered around America should be a requirement.

Incidentally, our school changed tactics midway through my high school. We went from 7 45 minute classes each day to class periods that were an hour and a half long and we rotated days (the lunch period class was still 45 minutes long and held every day, which was ideal for language classes). I thought this was great training for college, where the class periods are also longer, and we got a lot more accomplished in an hour and a half.

My 2 cents on high school education in Springfield, Virginia!

Valerie

Valerie Schafer
Executive Director
Garnet Preservation Association