Great discussion!  A really neat book to read is The Presence of the Past by Rosenzweig and Thelen.  It talks about how people use history in their lives.  Most fascinating is the distinction between the term "History" and other terms to mean "the past".

As for terminology, in the United States secondary school is referred to as either Junior High or Middle School and Senior High or High School.    Grades 6 through 8 are Junior High, while grades 9 through 12 are High School.  In the US, the schools are separate.  Though technically a part of secondary school, junior high is not treated as such.  The "mental break" of when a student truly becomes a secondary student is High School.  When a student enters High School, he or she is a "freshman".  The second year of High School is the "Sophomore" year.  The "Junior" year is the 11th grade, or next to the last, and the last year of school is the "Senior" year.  Unfortunately, school is not mandatory in the US until age 18.  I have two neighbors who dropped out on their16th birthdays.

"One Period" means class period.  Length of classes varies with the school.  United states schools don't run on a clock-hour system. The school day is divided into even time periods for classes and students are assigned a class for each period.  Thus, if you have history for one period, that means you have 1 class per day, 5 days per week and at the end of the year you get your history credit (assuming you passed).

Texas introduced something funky called TAAS (Texas Assessment of Academic Skills), Missouri has the "Show-Me Standards".  The funny thing is that I don't even remember what or when I took history other than taking "Civics and Economics" my last year in high school.  I went to a couple of different high schools, so my courses were a bit screwed up in order.  And, you're right, Beth....the problem is the teachers.  That is why I have no memory of high school history class but remember my Junior High history to this day!  I had two great JH teachers for Texas History and for World History.  (AND, it has been a whole person of legal drinking age since I was in Junior High!)