Thanks for the tips
  Emily Holtrop <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi there Jasmine...

I think that a great way to get kids to learn about history with photos is to hand out photos of certain historic events and talk about what they think is happening in the photo, get them to brainstorm, no wrong answers on this one, just ideas.....then when you are finished talk about the real topic of the photo. Oral histories are great, talking to grand parents and their friends is so beneficial. It would be great to team with a local senior center and take a bus tour of the city with your kids and a senior buddy....let the seniors tell the story, I can only imagine that you would have some great feed back. Have a day when the kids go to the senior center armed with photos and have them work with the seniors to sort out what is happening in the photo...great started for an oral history lesson.

Well now, to answer the set curriculum question, I do and I don't...For summer camp we have general topics that we want to touch on, like this summer we are doing 3 weeks...week 1 on the different cultures of Miami, week 2 on Colonial-Civil War time period in US history and how that affected Florida history, and week 3 is on the Everglades.

For the Cultures of Miami week, which we are calling World Neighbors, we are going to be doing  a lot with customs, traditional music, art, dress, and history....what is going to be great about this that the children that participate in these camps are from these different cultures, so their input will add to the program. It also allows them to be proud of their culture.

For the Colonial-Civil War Camp we are going to talk a lot about the different documents that have made an impact on US history (Declaration of Indepence/Star Spangled Banner, Emancipation Proclamation). I try to make up games, art projects, music activities for to teach this information, as 6-12 have spent the entire year in school being lectured too, I want them to feel like they are having fun first and learning something second. Even if they only take away the basics each day and go home and talk to their parents then great!

I use books all the time to teach and try to pull an art element out of it....I also write a history journal for each camp that the kids draw and write in everything they learned during camp. Also in those journals we put pictures to color that correlate with the theme, and short stories with questions to answer in words or in drawings. Also using music from a certain time period is a great tool. For a Discovery Day on African American Music we set up stations throughout the museum, each having a different period of music (drumming, spirituals, blues, jazz etc). I used the book I See Rhythm and that led us through. I hope I helped, felt like I got a little novelesque there....

All the best

Emily Holtrop ~ Historical Museum of Southern Florida

****"Love Doesn't End Just Because We Don't See Each Other" Grahame Green*********** >From: jasmine palmer >Reply-To: Museum discussion list >To: [log in to unmask] >Subject: Re: Need help in choosing summer art projects. >Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:12:15 -0700 > > > Emily, I too conduct a history summer program for the Anacostia Musuem. I am teaching local students to see themselves in history through photography and oral history interviews. I am always looking for ways to enhance my program, what sorts of activities are your students/participants involved in? Do you have a set curriculum? > Emily Holtrop wrote: Shawn,What are the topics of your summer program and what sort of museum do you work for? I do a history summer program that has a large component and would love to give you some ideas. Emily ----- Original Message -----From: Shawn WeisserSent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 9:06 PMTo: [log in to unmask]: Re: Need help in choosing summer art projects. You might want to contact the Museum of Art -Carnegie Hall University of Maine at Orono. My daughter has taken their Art Works program for the last 2 years. So far, she really loves it. > >Shawn M. Weisser ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: >The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes). >If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes). > > >--------------------------------- >Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com > > >========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: >The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes). >If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes). > > > >--------------------------------- >Do You Yahoo!? > >========================================================= >Important Subscriber Information: > >The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes). > >If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes). >Yahoo! Games - play chess, backgammon, pool and more