The idea that those who have the luxury of being able to afford to volunteer, to move to attend college, to take time off to forward their career are those that will get ahead is bothersome. It starts to feel like a society of privilege.  On the other hand, I recall a teacher saying that he thought the students that didn't have ready access to money did better.  He thought that they had to learn to be resourceful.  That was true. I put myself through school with no support.  It was a hard road. But, I was resourceful.
If your attitude is "I can't" well, then you can't.  If your attitude is "I'd rather seek other alternatives but maybe I'll have to" you've got a better chance.  Several times I've looked at the situation that didn't pan out and said (not quite this gently) "the heck with it, I'm doing it anyway."  Did I want to spend two years in a second master's program? Could I afford the money to go to conferences, to be on a board when my agency was not going to support me?  Probably not at least initially but I couldn't afford not to do these things.
What you can afford to do and what you can't afford not to do is clearly your decision.   It's seldom an easy one, but you need to look at what will play out from this two, five and ten years down the road.
Being on the board, going to conferences and workshops (if you won't give me the time or pay for it, I'll pay for it and take vacation) served me well.  The second round of grad school which I entered reluctantly was a lot more fun than the first which I entered with enthusiasm.

Shawn - Every museum I've worked at had some budget for staff education or professional development. In some cases it was simply a token amount.  Some it's an easy sale if they have the budget, others are dismayed that you ask although it is in the budget.