I also am a museum studies student, and ashamedly, I did not visit the art museum on campus until my daughter took art classes there. I did, however, visit the anthropological and history museums on campus. There are three reasons for this: the anthropological museum is advertised regularly in the student paper, local community paper, and city paper for all of the events they hold, and in association with the center for the arts where concerts and plays are held (they are in the same building); history is my focal interest; and, finally, lack of time as a nontrad student. Many students are associated with sports, volunteer activities, and other resume building activities...they just don't have time.
One solution is for professors to take field trips. Our campus has art, anthropology, and history museums on campus and rarely do professors use these resources.  I am a teacher and historian by trade and I have always utilized the local resources, museums are such a treasure trove of learning material!

Shawn M. Weisser