As a follow-up to Jay's excellent points...

One would assume that museums hire their staff already ready to do their
jobs, however, people can always learn more that will enable their jobs to
be done at a higher quality level.

My feeling on this issue is that if attending a class, seminar or conference
is something that the employee feels they should do to advance their career
or gain optional new skills, then the employee should pay for it.  If the
institution believes (as, luckily, mine does) that keeping their existing
staff professionally current and technically able is good for the
institution, they should be willing to foot the bill or at least share in
it.  When we submit our annual budgets we have to attach justification for
specific conferences and training classes included in it:  typically the
costs will be covered in full if there is demonstrable long-term benefit to
the institution.  Other arrangements are negotiable, like if a
not-to-be-missed training opportunity comes up that was not budgeted for or
in the circumstances below.

Example 1:  Our bookkeeper was taking CPA training classes at a local
university over the course of several years.  We already had a CPA on staff
and the bookkeeper position does not require a CPA.  The institution did not
pay for the classes, but because the knowledge would enable her to do her
job better, did allow her release time to attend them and continued her
salary.  My assistant was able to take a museum studies intro class under
the same circumstances.

Example 2:  Our membership manager just came back from a membership
manager's conference/workshop in Denver.  Our institution covered all costs
for the trip--tuition, travel, hotel, meals, etc. on the rationale that she
would be learning "best practices" directly applicable to her job that would
help the institution long-term.

Example 3:  As a department head I am allowed to attend one professional
conference of my choice each year, at the institution's full expense and
from my department's budget line.  I typically rotate these among the
College Art Association, the Association of Midwest Museums and the
Americans for the Arts conference or pre-conference.  (I can rarely attend
AAM because the timing conflicts with our annual fundraising event, a
two-day art fair, for which I assume some major responsibilities)  All
department heads have this option, which they can choose to delegate to a
lower-level staff member or convert to a couple of geographically closer,
less expensive technical training options for themselves and/or others in
their department, or they can forego their conference so that another member
of the department can attend a special one-time-only conference.

Example 4:  As part of a grant given to get local non-profits ready for Y2K,
we purchased new computers and were able to join with other non-profit
organizations to block-book computer training classes for the low price of
$25 per class (a $300 value) for 2 years.  The institution set aside a
certain amount of money in the administrative (not departmental) budget to
allow everyone to take 2 classes of their choice at that price, assuming
that their class would contribute directly to their job and the new
equipment (for example, not everyone was allowed to take the 2-class
PowerPoint series because they wouldn't need to use PowerPoint for their
jobs).

Suffice it to say from these examples, training is very important to us and
is seen as vital to building our capacity to grow as an institution.  We
have had to make cutbacks, mostly in the professional conferences area, but
we would never, ever expect a staff member to take necessary job-related
training at their own expense.

Julia Muney Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center
820 E. 67th St.
Indianapolis, IN  46220
(317) 255-2464 x233