hello amy,

i am working on our annual report as we speak.  i find that as our dept. managers discuss and define the report's purpose we have concisely sized the piece down to roughly 16pages.  an annual report can be considered a source to reference the years activities and thus might work well as bulleted information of year highlights and listed information of donors, members, volunteers, staff, board, acquisitions, items on loan or loaned to other institutions, exhibitions, educational programs and outreach, PR highlights, development highlights, museum mission statement and purpose, director's message, and of course visually appealing financials.  the lists and information could go on and on but hopefully your board and colleagues have defined the purpose of this report and how they wish to utilize it, and what message they would like to send to the readers and/or researchers; it may be a source other professionals reference to see, for example, which Picasso Suite the museum has just purchased.

an annual report is daunting, but as soon as your colleagues bring to light it's purpose, the task becomes efficient and can move forward.  i wish you the best of luck!