I have been asked to investigate the use of barcodes for collection management.  As a librarian, I am familiar with the use with print materials.  A present, however, I am interesting in hearing from those list members who have implemented, or are in the process of implementing the use of barcodes associated with objects and art works in their museums.

Here are a few of my questions: What are the advantages?  What are some of the drawbacks?  Do you affix the codes to tags? to the objects?  Do you print your own or purchase preprinted barcodes?  As you can see, I am starting from the absolute beginning.

I look forward to your replies.  Please respond offlist, if you feel this is of no interest to most subscribers.

Thank you,

Frances B. Clymer
Librarian
McCracken Research Library