From: Frances Clymer <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Barcoding collections
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:12:21 -0700
I have been asked to investigate the use of barcodes for collection
management. As a librarian, I am familiar with the use with print
materials. A present, however, I am interesting in hearing from those
list members who have implemented, or are in the process of implementing
the use of barcodes associated with objects and art works in their
museums.
Here are a few of my questions: What are the advantages? What are some
of the drawbacks? Do you affix the codes to tags? to the objects? Do
you print your own or purchase preprinted barcodes? As you can see, I
am starting from the absolute beginning.
I look forward to your replies. Please respond offlist, if you feel
this is of no interest to most subscribers.
Thank you,
Frances B. Clymer
Librarian
McCracken Research Library