Fellow Biodiversity Educators -
     If you are interested in providing biodiversity education to your constituents, here is a good opportunity. We are pleased to announce the release of our three-part documentary series on biological diversity, Treasuring Our Natural Heritage, and we're asking your help in lobbying your local PBS station to broadcast it. The series is funded by the National Science Foundation and is provided to PBS stations free of charge. The national release of this series is coming up very soon. We need enthusiastic contributors like yourself to encourage the Program Director at your local PBS station to air this landmark series on biodiversity in a good time slot. Over the next few days, your help and the help of others like you in every state in the country will ensure that this educational experience is broadly available to people across the United States. (If outside U.S. please contact me - see below)
     The series is produced by five-time Emmy Award-winning producer, Paul Bockhorst and is narrated by Merlin Olsen. It features many well known scientists including Paul Ehrlich (Stanford), Peter Raven (Missouri Botanical Garden), Gretchen Daily (Stanford), David Tilman (Univ. of Minnesota), Bill Newmark (Utah Museum of Natural History), and Jim Brown (Univ. of New Mexico).
     I have placed information below on how to find the phone number of your local PBS station and what to say to encourage them to air this series. The instructions also include links to more detailed descriptions of the three programs if you would like to learn more. If you know anyone else who might be interested in making a call on behalf of the series, please pass this information along to them.
     Please contact me if you have any questions and please let me know when your station plans to air the series. Thank you for your critical help!

     Sincerely,

     Stefan

Dr. Stefan Sommer, Director
Natural Heritage Center
Idaho State University
Campus Box 8044
Pocatello, Idaho  83209

[VOICE]    (208) 282-5841
[FAX]        (208) 282-5960
[E-MAIL]   [log in to unmask]
[URL's]      http://www.NaturalHeritageCenter.org

Treasuring Our Natural Heritage takes viewers on an eye-opening journey of discovery, revealing the astonishing patterns of interdependence that characterize the natural world. Along the way, leading biologists share scientific perspectives on biological diversity and the role it plays in maintaining the long-term health of our planet. At the same time, farmers, ranchers, and other concerned citizens add their thoughts about the kind of stewardship that will be necessary to protect biodiversity in the 21st century.”
  -- Paul Bockhorst
      Emmy Award-Winning Producer

Call Your PBS Station:
All 350 PBS stations across the United States will have the opportunity to broadcast this series, thanks to a distribution agreement with NETA (the National Educational Telecommunications Association). To encourage your local PBS station to broadcast the series in your region, please contact the Program Director or Director of Broadcasting at your station as soon as possible. Use the PBS website to find the phone number for your local PBS station. Go to http://www.pbs.org , select STATION FINDER in the upper right-hand corner, enter your zip code, and select your local station.

Things to emphasize include your interest in environmental issues, that you have heard about this interesting documentary series on biological diversity, that you think biodiversity is an important subject, and that you would like to learn more about it. If you like, you could also mention the stunning visuals of this series shot in 10 states across the West, the rich voice brought to the story by Merlin Olsen, the sense of balance brought to the story by Emmy Award-winning producer Paul Bockhorst, and the up-to-date science education that this series provides. For more information on how to contact your local PBS Program Director, look on our website's Television Broadcast Information page:
[ http://www.naturalheritagecenter.org/television_info.html ] ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: