From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Audra Oliver
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 10:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: More on hiring, in general

Doesn't the Family Medical Leave Act apply to employers of a certain size?  What I am thinking is that many small, private museums may fall outside of its requirements which I think was/is more than 15 employees.

I beg to disagree over the inability to self-censor.  I have worked in small communities and small museums. It is very necessary for people to have a sense of what is appropriate to reveal when.  Someone revealing inappropriate information (and, yes Virginia, the hiring official judges this) will not necessarily be disqualified but this inability will be noted. An equally qualified candidate who does not reveal inappropriate information at an interview becomes more qualified than one who does.

I do not believe that I discriminate based on race, sexual orientation or marital status. Why would a candidate want to volunteer this when it should have nothing to do with their qualifications? It's largely about, as has been discussed many times, how the candidate fits into the organization. Colleagues have been advised not to answer inappropriate questions and to do so in a non-threatening way.  By not saying, "Whether I am or am not married should be irrelevant to this process" perhaps you are being dishonest, perhaps you are being kind, perhaps you are being tactful. Ideally I would think that when an interviewer gets a somewhat less than straightforward answer to an inappropriate question, they might consider that the candidate is trying to be appropriate rather than dishonest.

Interviewing is a very delicate process on both sides of the street.

As to those who challenge me with "Have you ever?"  The answer is most likely "Yes, I have."  If you want further discussion with me on this contact me off list, please.