Heidi:

My friend J.Claire Dean, conservator, posted this (excerpt) to the MuseumL list way back in 1995,

"Light Impressions is carrying a combined relative humidity (RH) and
temperature indicating card.  They are made up of the standard blue/pink
colour scale and two strips that register temperature in degrees F and
C."

As I read up on efficacy, they are good to +/- 5%, which in an exhibit case with a comparatively slow exchange of air, these are entirely adaquate indicators of changes.  That said, If the artifacts are particularly sensitive to rapid RH changes, you should look into the electronic devices.

Most types of paper, to my knowledge, will not be affected much by a 5% change.  The environment itself, ie: type of wood the cases are made of, are far more likely to have an effect on paper.

We have been using RH indicators for years in traveling exhibits, and they have proven quite effective.

Hope this helps you in your decisions.

Tom Bennett
Exhibit Support, AK