Hi!  I don't know if this is the type of place you are looking for, but there is a nice state-operated site in North Carolina called Reed Gold Mine State Historic Park.  It is located a little east of Charlotte and is the site of the first documented discovery of gold in the United States.  Here is a link to the site -- http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/sections/hs/reed/reed.htm .

Rich Durschlag

Museum of the Waxhaws  --  Waxhaw, NC