I second Brian's observation that it's more important what you do in your first job than how long you stay...  But I would add that, IMHO, there are different schools of thought from a hiring perspective.  With many employers wanting experience, the idea of stability with a new employee is important.  (i.e. - if that five years of experience was gained by working at five different institutions over that period - and those positions weren't hired as temporary positions - I'd be wondering as an employer if I'd be hiring for the same position again in a year or two.)  Hiring and training is an expensive and time-consuming task, and employers do consider the prospective longevity of those they hire (at least I do).

Second, if there are good reasons for changing jobs in a short period, be up front about them.  I believe that in this business NO ONE would count against a person leaving a lower paid interpreter job for a position that better reflects your interest and financial requirements.  Everyone understands the idea of getting your foot in the door and moving up the organizational structure when opportunities arise.

Honestly, however, it may be more difficult to move "up" at another institution if you don't have more than a year or so in your first position.

Just some thoughts, sounds like a tough spot... GOOD LUCK
Melinda Gilpin