I don't think length of your first museum job is as important as what you have achieved, certainly here in the UK . I know from personal experience that getting my first museum job was the toughest challenge, and the second wasn't that much easier either. Try to see it as opportunity. Not least make the most of your stay and leave a good impression. Also get some extra clout to your C.V. by perhaps joining an organisation in the museum world either at your own museum or externally which you are enthusiastic about: could you offer to write an article for them in their next publication, or a review of a seminar you attended? All this will build-up extra skills and experience which will help you stand-out from the crowd when you apply for your next job.

In any case, you may not want to stay in your first job very long, or your personal circumstances may change. If you really want that next job - and they like you at interview (it takes about 40 seconds after you walk in the interview for them to make up their mind whether they like you) -  then this counts for more than length of stay. Have a great career.

Best wishes

Brian Hanley
Documentation Officer
First Garden City Heritage Museum