When people start talking about "The Mixed Up Files..." I must de-lurk and put my .02 in! I too am a big fan of that book, and it (plus my parents dragging me all over the East Coast to historic sites and museums) surely influenced my decision to pursue museums as a career. The idea of sleeping in an antique four poster bed always sounded magnificent to me. (Before I knew about conservation, liability, etc.)

If I were to pick a museum to be locked in, I would have to choose the Museum of Costume in Bath, England. I could spend hours staring at their wonderful collections, especially those relating to the Regency Period. I think a supply of Cadbury's Chocolate would be perfect to sustain me through the night!

While I'm de-lurking I'd better paint a brief biographical sketch as well. I am an alumna of North Carolina State University (spring '01 BA History, Minor Music History) just starting her second semester in Baylor University's MA program in Museum Studies.

Actually, I was once locked in a museum...sort of. My 5th grade class did an overnight camp-in at the Boston Museum of Science, we had the entire museum to ourselves (well, along with about 100 other school kids). But we had to sleep on the floor, not on any of the exhibits :)

kayt emhart