Dear Annemarie:
    Your path sounds a lot like mine, and if you'd like to contact me off list, I'd be happy to share with you what I can.  I have a BA in art history and with my law degree, I have been practicing art/entertainment/non-profit law for the past ten years.  My practice is diverse--ranging from a Russian theatre group to a Filipino dance troupe and everything else in between.
    I thought law school was difficult--unnecessarily so, but, that's another story--but, getting into an administrative position in a museum/arts facility is proving even more difficult.  I had an "informational" interview just last Friday with the Deputy Director of an historical conglomerate.  She told me that it's an employer's market right now and that, low wages aside, employers can pretty much ask for the sky and get applications from lots of people who have just what they're looking for.  It seems that it's going to be difficult at this juncture, to have someone get beyond job titles and look at the types of experiences a person has.  Again, if you want to contact me, we can talk further.
    Lastly, I agree that lawyers do think they can do anything.  Though not taught as a course in law school, that idea is most assuredly fostered; or perhaps it's just the idea of surviving the hell that is law school that convinces you that if you make it through that, you can make it through anything!
Best,
 ---
Terry Peeler, Esquire
Art & Entertainment Law