Re: Bronze statue a moving tribute or PC run amok?
Hi All:

    As a member of two different 'minority groups', I find the notion of a so-called "politically correct" version of reality sickening.
    ...That monuments are seldom historically accurate implies, sadly that our society values and chooses to commemorate falsehood over truth.  [Should we accept that?]
    Now is an inappropriate time to debate the 'subjectivity of truth' as, in this case, everyone knows who raised that flag.  Let the monument be truthful in representing the three who performed this act.  If people are offended by a realistic -- not "politically correct" -- monument, they ought to be shown a photograph of the event.  That's undeniably true.
    Additionally, there will be no negative result to African-American or Hispanic firefighters in representing the truth.  Three firefighters, who happen to be Caucasian, performed this patriotic act.  It's an open and shut case . . . clouded, as is so often the case, by those who wish to be "politically correct."

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum, 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)     342-2376 (fax)      www.joslyn.org

Jan 13, 2001

Well said, Jay.  I might add that there will probably be a number of statues, paintings and other kinds of art work done over the next few years.  Some of those will probably - and correctly - represent minorities.  As a white guy, I'd be embarrassed if a white person was added to the art to make it "politically correct".  Thankfully, the odds are slim.

-Jim
--
-Jim Lyons

http://www.jimlyons.com