>Hi All:
>
>     As a member of two different 'minority groups', I find the
>notion of a so-called "politically correct" version of reality
>sickening.
>     ...That monuments are seldom historically accurate implies,
>sadly that our society values and chooses to commemorate falsehood
>over truth.  [Should we accept that?]
>     Now is an inappropriate time to debate the 'subjectivity of
>truth' as, in this case, everyone knows who raised that flag.  Let
>the monument be truthful in representing the three who performed
>this act.  If people are offended by a realistic -- not "politically
>correct" -- monument, they ought to be shown a photograph of the
>event.  That's undeniably true.
>     Additionally, there will be no negative result to
>African-American or Hispanic firefighters in representing the truth.
>Three firefighters, who happen to be Caucasian, performed this
>patriotic act.  It's an open and shut case . . . clouded, as is so
>often the case, by those who wish to be "politically correct."
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
>Joslyn Art Museum, 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
>342-3300 (telephone)     342-2376 (fax)
> <http://www.joslyn.org>www.joslyn.org

Jan 13, 2001

Well said, Jay.  I might add that there will probably be a number of
statues, paintings and other kinds of art work done over the next few
years.  Some of those will probably - and correctly - represent
minorities.  As a white guy, I'd be embarrassed if a white person was
added to the art to make it "politically correct".  Thankfully, the
odds are slim.

-Jim
--
-Jim Lyons