Ellen,
If a day or two trip oustide of London were to happen, I suggest the city of York. I spent 5 months studying at St. Johns and loved the city dearly. The city walls are mostly intact for walks, the York minster is the largest gothic cathedral in northern europe, they have the national train museum, an air museum, viking museum, and garden parks abound. Here's the link for the city. http://www.york-tourism.co.uk/frames.html

As far as eating, there are many small resturants that are quite good, especially the Italian resturants along Monk Gate. They also boast "a pub for everyday of the year." Some of the pubs offer live music, which I recomend. Many popular bands show up unexpected to play a couple sets.  To get to York it takes a little over two hours, by train, from King's Cross"...Have a great time!!

Dante'