Dear Museum L People:

I am a sculptor/installation artist, art educator, writer and curator, and II am planning a workshop/lecture trip to Northern California around April 13-27.  I would like to fill in my schedule with some additional workshops and lectures in the area.  I will teach a two day workshop at Humboldt State University Art Dept. in Arcata/Eureka on April 19-20 and will be visiting my daughter in Sonoma and brother in Sacramento....so any place in Northern CA or the Bay Area would be possible.

My workshop at Humboldt State will be on papermaking for large-scale sculpture/installation work.  I will lead the students in designing, making paper and installing a collaborative public art piece on campus.  My most recent works have been outdoor installations with an environmental focus designed to be biodegradable using paper pulps from native plants, vines, branches and other natural materials with seeds that will change over time...as the paper dissolves into compost the seeds sprout and grow into a new image.  My works with handmade paper have been exhibited widely internationally as well as in New York City and other parts of the US.  I have written articles about my work for HAND PAPERMAKING, SCULPTURE and ART CALENDAR as well as art reviews and feature articles about other artists.  I have been an artist in residence in Japan, the Philippines, Nepal and many places in the US such as the Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education, Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, Franconia Sculpture Park, Connemara Conservancy and Contemporary Artists Center.  This January and February I will be an artist in residence in Brazil at the Sacatar Foundation.  I have received commissions from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, New York City Arts for Transit, Corning Glass Credit Union, and ASCAP among others.  I have taught art courses at colleges and universities and museums and have led papermaking workshops at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Women's Studio Workshop, Seastone Paper and Sierra Nevada College among many others.

I would be available to lead a papermaking workshop/lecture or more general workshop/lecture that could appeal to those in other areas.  Topics can include Handmade Paper for Sculpture/Installation Art; Paper in Public (public art with handmade paper); Adapting Japanese and Nepalese Papermaking Techniques; Hand Papermaking in the Classroom; Writing Proposals and Grants; Artist in Residency Opportunities; Art in the Environment; the Artist as Critic; or other topics of interest to your organization.  For more information about my work please check out my website at http://www.janeingramallen.com    I will be happy to answer questions or give a more complete proposal to anyone who might be interested in having me give a workshop or lecture during this Spring 2002 trip to Northern California.
Thank you,
Jane
Jane Ingram Allen, P. O. Box 153, Hamilton, NY 13346
phone 315-824-0700
Jane Ingram Allen's web page
http://www.janeingramallen.com