I think it depends completely on the nationality of the speaker.  My wife
brought in a speaker from Russia for two events that she organized and each
time had to go through extensive paperwork with the INS and obtain a special
visa.

Dr. Kenneth Wayne, Curator
Albright-Knox Art Gallery
1285 Elmwood Avenue